is this a joke?

Sponsored Links
No it's not a joke, but it's nothing new either. Esso knew about this in the 1960s when they were marketing "...a tiger in your tank."

meaning around 20 cats are needed for a full tank

driven it for 105,000 miles without any problems

Now, assuming that the German can convert into imperial units, and that the guy's surname just happens to be pronounced "c*ck"...

105,000 miles... well, an average diesel saloon will do about 40mpg, right? So, that is 2625 gallons right there, or about 11,800 litres... that is nearly 5000 cats. Where the hell is he going to get hold of 5000 dead cats (Chinese takeaway jokes withstanding)?! Bear in mind they have to be FRESH dead cats... I calculate there is only about 800g of carbon in an average adult cat, and decomposition will rapidly decrease that amount.

And the fact it centres on the use of cats... whilst the cat is very well adapated to arid climes, there is nothing special about its chemical composition. If I were to choose an animal to turn into hydrocarbon fuel, the cat would be my last choice. Not because I like cats, but because of a very distinct feature of their metabolic processes: they derive almost all of their energy from protein. Proteins are a pretty dirty energy source, this is why we have kidneys and why cats often suffer from kidney problems in later life. So, any "biodiesel" process would have to get rid of the many other chemicals that make up the contents of the cats digestive system.

Me, I would choose the animal that runs on the purest hydrocarbons. A cow. Think about it. It ingests almost pure cellulose and water. Brilliant.

However, I would just cut out the middle mammal entirely. Make it out of that cellulose to start with. C6H12O6 (I know, that's glucose ;) ), a wonderfully pure and clean source of energy.

Oh, and one more thing: "CAT" is the acronym by which the Centre for Alternative Technology is known. CAT is an advocate of biodiesel research... A coincidence that THIS is the animal they chose? ;)

My Skoda's got a cat.

Gives it a whole new meaning, though.

Perhaps Esso's slogan should have been "Put a tigger in your tank......"

Sponsored Links
securespark said:

it was (see this ) you could even get a "tigers tail" to hang in your car

breezer said:
securespark said:

it was (see this ) you could even get a "tigers tail" to hang in your car
Pooh will be terribly upset and Eeyore will be unconsolable.

The cost of a chinese take away will rise now if theres a shortage!!

Oh no....not them again!....mind you, I once found a really good receipy for Jam on the net.....

Boil a dozen hamsters....

Add half a pound of sugar

Then just stir until it turns into a nice Jam....

Serve traditionally on toast or in a sandwich.....

If you dont like the taste pour it into a plant pot and place a few tulip bulbs in it

In no time at all you'l have beautiful tuplips growing...

Cos as everyone knows........

TULIPS GROW IN AMSTERJAM!

I'll get me coat...... :oops:

I seem to recall (from a LONG time ago) my german teacher - Frauline Stewart - telling us that the german equivalent of 'fill her up' was 'packen ein tiger in meine tank'.

Or do you think was was taking the (cat's) p*ss??

SB

Can't be sure... German teachers do have a certain reputation for humour. Mine would always say "Ich bin hundert jahre alt"...

AdamW said:
Can't be sure... German teachers do have a certain reputation for humour. Mine would always say "Ich bin hundert jahre alt"...

I dont see how that is funny, she couldn't be a hundred years old, unless of course that is the German sence of humour

One of my engineers is putting veg oil in his fuel tank!

I have warned him it could spoil the seals in the pump but hes not bothered!

Also warned him the C & E could jump out of the bushes and take a sample. That happened to a friend who used to use a taxi as his car!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back