Is this gap normal for sash windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first time on this forum and looking for some advice/guidance.

FTB here moved in to a flat for 4 months and started noticing draught and more noise coming through sash windows. The property is a converted old victorian building so classified as a 'new build' so I'm entitled to raise snag issues with the developer.

Recently I noticed more noise (it's quite close to a busy road) and draught coming through the sash windows in particular where the top and bottom sash meets. There are brush seals installed but can't comment on the quality of them.

When I looked into it further, I noticed some gaps along the edges of the lower sash where is meets the frame (see images below). Is this usual or something that should be fixed?
1000022086.jpg
1000022085.jpg

Also a handyman from the developer came round a few weeks ago and commented on "windows shrinking" is that something to worry about?

Secondly, I noticed some of the edges and bottom of the interior windowsill hasn't been caulked or sealed. Is this something that I should raise to the developer or even fix myself if it's an easy job.

1000022087.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back