Is this timber goosed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My local timber merchant has some good Swedish Redwood planed in the size I want. I went along to pick up a load but what I saw caused concern. They were stacked so that they were all bent and misaligned. When I pointed this out they suggested that it would go back straight. I doubt it. I suspect it arrived damp, dried in a warped position because someone couldn’t be bothered to stack it properly and it will stay like that.

I would love to be proved wrong but I was concerned to the point of walking away. What do people think? Will this go back straight or is it stuck like this?

They are the ones in the red rectangle. The straight ones about are a different size.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Getting them to guarantee is one thing. Getting a refund or replacement could be another. I would rather avoid the issue in the first place…if it is an issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Amazingly most of them sold earlier. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turn back up when they get returned. Hopefully they will get some more and stack them properly.

ok my thoughts and i could be miles out
they look like perhaps 2.1m planks assuming 8ft or even 10ft sheets above
i could be wrong but 2.1m would be an odd size or order as perhaps 3-4.5m would be a more usual length
i wonder iff they are returns from a amateur order where every single aspect off storage and use equal dire results ??
there should be up to around 5.1m lengths in foot/300mm steps with perhaps 600 or 900 jumps occasionally within the racks within the yard if not sounds like a special order returned

Last edited:
ok my thoughts and i could be miles out
they look like perhaps 2.1m planks assuming 8ft or even 10ft sheets above
i could be wrong but 2.1m would be an odd size or order as perhaps 3-4.5m would be a more usual length
i wonder iff they are returns from a amateur order where every single aspect off storage and use equal dire results ??
there should be up to around 5.1m lengths in foot/300mm steps with perhaps 600 or 900 jumps occasionally within the racks within the yard if not sounds like a special order returned
They are 3.9 meters long. This is a standard size in this region timber yard has the same ones but they are 2 hours round trip (same supplier) which is annoying as these ones are 15 minutes away.
Unfortunately it is just the attitude of this timber yard. Here is another stack.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 47
Tell the management that the staff in the branch are mishandling the stock. They might do something about it.

I did. I sent an email with photos in last Monday. Not had a reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back