Is this wiring safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My mum had someone install an extractor fan as part of an ECO scheme

From a safety and legal perspective are there any things of concern from the attached photos, and if so can someone please explain why, as this will be used as part of an official complaint

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20241018_201310489.jpg
    PXL_20241018_201310489.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20241018_201318340.jpg
    PXL_20241018_201318340.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Wiring regulations, are not law, but can be used in a court of law, but it seems the parts of the building regulations are law, not saying I agree with the requirements of Part F, but we are now aware of the problems.
However, I have thinking work was being done within the building regulations, tried to get the work transferred, only to find the builder had not followed the law, and it seems I or at least my dad, as homeowner was responsible to ensure the correct applications had been made, and I found I was being told off for not registering the work, not the builder.

I wished I had never told the LABC, but you can't un-tell them. So although clearly not a professional job, you need to think twice before reporting the work.

From a safety and legal perspective are there any things of concern from the attached photos, and if so can someone please explain why, as this will be used as part of an official complaint
I would just say that the whole cable including the grey sheath should go into the fan.

However, that is such a disgrace that it is hard to believe anything could be done so badly.

Sponsored Links
It's so bad, it's just fascinating.

Anyone else can do better than this.

I bet there's even wires jointed in that trunking.

You can waste your time trying to report it - you can say the cable isn't fully sheathed. You say it's utter crap, which it is. But I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Whoever fitted that is NOT an electrician. Or even a trainee electrician.

It certainly does nothing to bring hope that they are capable of doing anything with anything. I would not trust them to clean my windows or tie my shoelaces.

Even if they have got some of the things technically correct then the appearance is so shoddy that it gives absolutely no confidence of anything they have touched.

Can't quite tell from the pics but is that 3c&e to the fan with brown and black only used in the trunking or do all the cores go to the fan?
The ridges on the inside of the sheath look like it might be 3c&e but have the grey and earth been cut back?
Defo needs redoing though and at no extra cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back