Is this wood pine or oak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I live in a early Victorian cottage and plan to sand the boards in my living room area then have them filled . The boards are very wide 9.1/2 inch and dark at the moment but wont know what they will look like until they are sanded. We are unsure of the type of wood i.e. pine which i have sanded in the past or oak. One of the pics is of the untreated underside of the boards. Can anybody help.
Thanks in advance.
DSCN8815.JPG
DSCN8795.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would say pine stained dark over the years. Nice width and grain to them

The untreated underside of the board is quite dark you can mark it with the tip of a pen if you push quite hard but where the upper part is rock hard which is why we thought it might be oak.
The men who are filling the gaps thought they may be oak because they hadn't seen boards like it, and are going to purchase oak boards for replacing any damaged boards witch is why I'm keen to make sure they get the correct boards.

Sponsored Links
can you see the end grain or the side grain or take a picture off any knots on the dark board ??
visually its very oak like but in an odd place

In the early Victorian period an "artisan dwelling" is highly unlikely to have had oak flooring, partly because of expense and partly because of shortages in oak resulting from over cutting in the preceding 100 years due to the continental wars. Pine started to come into the UK from both Russia and North America in ever increasing quantities after 1800, so if it isn't pine it might well be chestnut, which was commonly substituted for oak in furniture and some housing , and which looks like oak, although somewhat softer when originally sawn. Are the undersides of the boards rough sawn (which might be expected up until the 1860s) or smooth? If smooth it might indicate that the boards have been replaced at some time

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you it's very interesting. I've taken a couple of other snaps witch show the side, underside and knots, but i hadn't thought of chestnut . I live near a dockyard so the wood could have come from anywhere even ship timbers.

Attachments

• DSCN8824.JPG
    DSCN8824.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN8826.JPG
    DSCN8826.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8832.JPG
    DSCN8832.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8831.JPG
    DSCN8831.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN8834.JPG
    DSCN8834.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 70
Not an expert but looks like pine to me.

You also have woodworm holes in your pics. Not to be unexpected with the old wood, I've a few holes in mine. Just fyi

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I don't think they are oak so will let the floor men know, I think they are probably pine maybe chestnut. What threw us is the darkish red colour on the underside and the treated boards are so dark but obviously someone has coloured them in the past. I don't care what they are in the end because they do have a nice grain and width and will look lovely when finished. But to be on the safe side for replacement boards I am taking a piece to show a man who deals with reclaimed wood to see what he thinks. On a side note my floormen are going to ' cork ' the gaps as some are quite large and they think too large for wood shavings.

When eventually strip the stairs / landing, I'll use reclaimed pine slithers for the gaps. You can get a variety of sizes, glue them in and plane/ sand down.

What threw us is the darkish red colour on the underside and the treated boards are so dark but obviously someone has coloured them in the past.
Oak doesn't tend toward red, but some pines, such as pitch pine and parana pine can. Your photographs are more orange than red to my eyes, which puts me in mind of certain varnishes. And as you say, though, they could have been painted or varnished in the past (more likely than staining which is a modern approach for flooring)

But to be on the safe side for replacement boards I am taking a piece to show a man who deals with reclaimed wood to see what he thinks.
Probably a good idea. On a tiny screen where the grain isn't wonderfully clear and colour rendition may be wrong it is often difficult to gauge what you are looking at. Oak is distinguished by an open pore structure which seems to be missing in your examples, though
On a side note my floormen are going to ' cork ' the gaps as some are quite large and they think too large for wood shavings.
The word is "caulk". One technique is to pack a caulk saver (closed cell foam piping) into the bigger gaps, then fill the top with caulk to produce an acceptable result.

As an aside people often think they have oak beams or oak flooring, but the reality is that other than high status/value housing or commercial premises (such as banks) and a very limited number of estate houses where locally cut timber was a available, oak would not have been used much in domestic housing from at least 1750 (by which time import of pine was going full blast and the canals were opening up) simply on grounds of cost

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again I don't mind them being a pine because it will keep costs down and give me plenty of options stain or varnish.

Again thanks for all your replies, the reclaimed wood man says they are defiantly pine he even has some just like them at the moment from a house renovation just down the road . I've told my chaps and looking forward to having a lovely wood floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back