Isolator same with Disconneting Switch in The US

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is teh funstion of Isolator in the UK same with Disconnecting Switch in the US ?.

Also why do we need Spur Unit for Exhaust Fan ?

Where else do we need to install spur unit ?

Cheer
Adindas

Sponsored Links
am not from america so not familiar with their terminology, altho i would think disconnection switch would be an isolator. as for FCU's, there used to protect a load what is permanently connected, i.e washer, fan etc. also used to protect extra sockets extended from a ring

Dear Andrew

I thank you very much for your answer. I am still confused about the isolator. I read that isolator is mainly intended to protect the repairman while they are working to fix the item such as Cealing Fan, ELectric Boiler, etc. So that the isolator should ensure that it totally isolates the circuit. It should disconnect not only Phase (Live) but also Neutral and Leakage current. So they must have two pole to disconnet phase and Neutral.

Is anywhere could I find the circuit diagram of Isolator.

I thank you very much again in advance for yur answer.

Cheers
Adindas

Sponsored Links
switch: turns equipment on and off
isolator: isolates for test or repair perposes (not nessacerally capable of safely disconnecting on load)
isolating switch:does both of the above

when most people SAY isolator they MEAN isolating switch.

Thanks for all who provide me the useful answer. Now I understand this thing.

Thanks a lot
Adindas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back