Issue With Boiler Igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
97% of the time my heating/water works fine, hot water, heating perfect, occasionally however I come to use the shower / or heating and *nothing* it is cols.

After doing some checking *sometimes* when it initially turns on there is a large amount of CLICKS ( I mean maybe 15) before the woof of the igniting, other times only 3 clicks, once it ignites it runes perfectly, no more clicks...I *presume* that when I have no hot water, the clicks never result in a woof of igniting.

I guess this means a part is failing ... does anyone have an idea what part/s I should try to get replaced initially, my plumber has said it could be a few different parts and seems unsure exactly, I worry he will just replace parts one by one until he gets the right one and it will cost me 1000's.

From my own checking it wounds like the ignitor or the sensor, any idea on any other parts it could be?

many thanks for any help

Jack

Sponsored Links
Correct testing should see what the issue is, your gas engineer should really be able to run those tests, if he can't then maybe time to get someone else.

The clicks are the spark/generator. The boiler will run through a certain amount of tries and if it doesn't light then it should fail, lock out and have to be reset.

Ahhh that’s what I thought, we I’d expect he would perform checks but it worried me on his last visit he said ‘I think it’s the PCB’ maybe switch that out and as you say from what I have seen it’s more igniter etc.

Yes a new plumber would be an option but I have had issues in the past, it is a v old boiler etc and a couple in the last 5yrs have said pushed very hard for us to get a new one (obviously to get the big job) whereas our plumber has said it’s fine, I can still get parts so obviously not looking for the big payout.

I will ask him to perform tests (what should he be testing and how)? If he says he can’t I will have to look for another plumber I guess.

Sponsored Links
Well I wouldn't rule out the PCB yet but it is one of the more expensive items in a boiler. Would certainly start testing at the spark/generator and work backwards, he may have already done that though and found everything to be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back