Issues with replacement flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had flat dormer roof covering replaced (new insulation, decking and felt layers).

Having got up there and had a look I see two areas of possible concern with the works. Best illustrated by the attached photos.

In both cases the issue relates to the corners where the flat roof joins the main roof.

In the left one, the 'felt' seems to be lifting away from the lead that goes up under the tiles, plus the lead seems to be rather up in the air.

In the right one there is what appears to be exposed bitumen surface (selvedge?) - i.e. not covered by mineral granules.

Would appreciate any thoughts / observations.

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 69
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Couple more slightly zoomed out photos

Attachments

• Left-V2.JPG
    Left-V2.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Right-V2.JPG
    Right-V2.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
And a few more photos giving the overall context. As is clear, the roof falls towards the rear and water runs off at the sides of the rear onto the meain roof.

Attachments

• P1030804.JPG
    P1030804.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030805.JPG
    P1030805.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030806.JPG
    P1030806.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030807.JPG
    P1030807.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 46
OP,
Your first two pics show very poor detailing.
In essence, a long back gutter has been created - a bad idea. Falls to a front gutter & RWP would have been better.
FWIW: the front fascia is rotting & should have been replaced.
The LH fascia doesn't look too clever either?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments. Any chance you could expand on what you mean by "show very poor detailing"?

The dormer is 40 odd years old and the falls to the rear were part of that work. Not surprsingly, after 40 years, the existing covering (and chipboard deck) had severly deteriorated and so the work recently undertaken was just to fix an immediate issue. For now I'm just a bit concerned about the original points I raised as shown in the 1st two pics.

Hi,

There can be two issues:

1. The felt appears to be lifting from the lead flashing, and the lead itself seems improperly positioned.
2. There's exposed bitumen (selvedge), which should be covered by mineral granules.

Both issues could lead to water ingress. It's advisable to contact with roofing contractor to address these concerns promptly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back