IT outage exposes fragility of tech infrastructure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm amazed that organisations like Microsoft either don't have, or choose not to have test systems for evaluating any potential unseen repercussions of the rollout of updates.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure they do, but something went wrong.

We may find out what, but vested interests hoping to divert blame might be successful.

I foresee an uptick in demand and rates for IT professionals who can give the impression of knowledge of this area.

It appears to have been a software update with a particular date stamp for issue.
The first complainants were based in Australia and it swept westwards as the rest of the world woke up and went to work.
Maybe future IT updates should require a quick phone call to Sydney before installing, to ask......how was it for you?

Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Major global IT outage grounds flights, hits banks and businesses around the world. The problem was caused by a “defect found in a single content update for Windows” from the cybersecurity company CrowdStrike, according to NBCnews

The nerds will be slaving overtime on this one.

It was not a Microsoft update .
Well done - correct. It was an update of a security suite that has zero to do with MS. The update was fine on Linux and Mac but stuck windows in blue screen of death mode. The MS method of handling that is to bring up machine in safe mode and fix the problem - it seems by deleting a specific file from the none MS package. This it seems can only be done manually at the keyboard. Personally I wouldn't be so sure of that.

The package name is Crowdstrike. Popular and used by loads of companies on all of the PC's they use.

Apparently Microsoft is blaming EU regulations.
EU legislated against the monopoly that Microsoft enjoyed, and made it easier for 3rd parties to access Windows' core software programme to enable the likes of Crowdstrike to issue virus protection updates.
Microsoft's preferred virus protection software is their own Microsoft Defender, but EU considered otherwise.
"You reap what you sow" comes to mind.

EU legislated against the monopoly that Microsoft enjoyed, and made it easier for 3rd parties to access Windows' core software programme to enable the likes of Crowdstrike to issue virus protection updates.
Microsoft's preferred virus protection software is their own Microsoft Defender, but EU considered otherwise.
"You reap what you sow" comes to mind.
Ah, so only EU systems were affected?

Bit daft. They want nothing other than their own software on systems but there has been various attempts at stopping them from forcing that.

They would love a monopoly on the software people use and try their hardest to achieve it.

Sponsored Links
Back