I've concreted my fence posts but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used the blue circle wickes postcrete stuff and followed the instructions. All went well and they've secured really well. However, came out the next morning and there are cracks from each corner of the post outwards in the concrete? They're still solid, but will this cause problems? What caused it - am I right in thinking that they've dried too quickly (pretty hard to avoid when its fast setting stuff!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the blue circle stuff does go like that on top as it dries out. As long as the post is solid dont worry

Thanks Thermo. I've also noticed that on a few of the posts when I hold them at the top and apply some movement, I can see the whole concrete base moving 'very very slightly', nothing major and I anticipate that the wind would not be powerful enough to cause as much movement as I applied. Is this fairly typical?

Thanks again mate

yes you will get a bit of movement at the top of the posts as its acting as a lever at the top so its exerting a greater force. The give helps to stop the fence blowing over, a bit like the tops of tall buildings that move slightly. After all, all youve done is put a block of concrete in the ground, so thre will be a little bit of movement.

Going back to the blue circle stuff from memory it doesnt have any decent size ballast in it which is why it cracks out as it dries, but its not a problem.

Sponsored Links
thanks agaion mate.

Which brand of postfix mix would you recommend - what do you use? I thought the Wickes stuff was generally regarded as the best stuff.

Cheers

i use the hanson post mix, it has a good mix of bllast in it, but the blue circle stuff does go off very quickly.

mk2phil said:
thanks agaion mate.

Which brand of postfix mix would you recommend - what do you use? I thought the Wickes stuff was generally regarded as the best stuff.

Cheers

Blue Circle Postcrete is a very handy product - I use it often. The reason the top can crack is that its the wettest part when you have poured water on it, and hence less ballast and therefore strength. As long as the hole is deep enough and is the right shape, you'll have no problems. Just don't lean on the post for ten mins and you'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back