job with no takers!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a job come through on Saturday, 'repair of a Gledhill gulfstream floor standing 2000 boiler'...
Me or my crew havn't touched one of these before..and would rather pass on to sum1 with a bit more knowledge..
Tried to sub-contract to several other corgi registered engineers I am used to using...failed miserably!!!!
Nobody seems to want to touch this make of boiler!
Fault according to customer = when boiler functions on gas mode, the MCB at the CU trips, customer has to switch the operation mode of the boiler to electric to achieve the desired results...

Customer tried the manufacturer who in turn said they would need to send out an engineer from Belgium for the repair lol (you can imagine the costs here).
British Gas were reluctant to take on the job and have yet to confirm.

I tried all locals left right and centre and as u can guess, NO JOY!!
Any1 ever worked on one of these boilers b4??

Sponsored Links
Why dont you explain exactly where this is in case anyone here would be willing to deal with it? Also the symptoms of the fault.

I note that you want to subcontract the job. Do you operate a maintenance contract of some kind?

On what pricing basis do you expect to subcontract the job?

Tony

Job is in Slough, Berkshire
5% cut I normally take on the finalised price to customer
I hardly pass on work to others, but a BG emoloyee advised to steer clear as the manufacturers are in complete shambles and this boiler didn't do too well which is why, a tiny new estate in Slough is the only one with boilers like this installed...The fault I have mentioned is all the information I have at the mo...gas mode - trips MCB, electric mode works fine...
I havnt been onsite and don't intend to go...
Any1 with interest feel free to step in

Oh dear, I thought it would be in the west Midlands.

Dont you think it would be better to forgo your 5% in a case like this?

However, how do you come about the job? Is this through a third party where you have to be to one charging?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hey Tony,
West Midlands is my origin but I have an office in Berkshire and take on various types of work. Mainly, bathroom and kitchen installations...
Job has come through direct from Customer. I have 2 x corgi registered plumbers who work for me, and both would rather take on other jobs I have lined up for them this week.
Im a reasonable fella mate, I can be a little flexible on the 5% figure!! It normally turns to the case of i scratch ur back, u scratch mine....but depends who im dealing with. British Gas I'd ask for 20%!!!!

As Agile has said, why don't you just post the symptoms and see what can be made of them?

Better still, get the customer to sign up and post the symptoms. At least they'd be on site. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
As Agile has said, why don't you just post the symptoms and see what can be made of them?

Better still, get the customer to sign up and post the symptoms. At least they'd be on site. :rolleyes:

my intentions wern't to come on here for the purpose of dishing out work..
Thought I could find sum1 who has worked on one b4 and who could point me in the right direction if im not on it already!!!
i will probably fill the job tmrw as 'miketheboilerman' is yet to return my call :LOL: (he deals specifially with these type of boilers)
Symptoms are as stated previously, according to customer. Havn't had the chance to visit so can't elaborate unfortunately.

Those symptoms are 'repair of a Gledhill gulfstream floor standing 2000 boiler' for anyone who didn't find it.

Its difficult to point you in any direction without a technical description of the fault!

Tony

To be fair to dynomo, he did write "when boiler functions on gas mode, the MCB at the CU trips", but I was looking for a leetele bit more than that. :cry:

Sorry, I saw the first bit first!

If one changes the description from "tripping an MCB" to the much more likely "tripping an RCD ( or RCCD ) " then its likely to be a faulty pump, gas valve or mains filter leaking to earth and a very simple fault to find for anyone competent.

Tony

Agile said:
If one changes the description from "tripping an MCB" to the much more likely "tripping an RCD ( or RCCD ) " then its likely to be a faulty pump, gas valve or mains filter leaking to earth and a very simple fault to find for anyone competent.
I agree that those faults would be relatively simple to diagnose.

However, you don't need to alter "MCB" to "RCD" just for that, since a dead short on a gas valve solenoid could easily trip an RCD, and failed pump motors are quite good at taking a high current. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back