Joining ceiling joists wall-removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm unsure whether this should be in this section or the building section? Apologies if I've got the wrong section!

I am in the process of renovating my bungalow which is removing 3x chimney breasts (2 of which are adjoining one another) and also a small box room.

I've had a structural engineer around but they've advised that what I'm asking is out of their scope... so I've contacted Building Control but I'm not sure if it'll be in their scope either but hoping for some advice from some of the wonderful people on here!

I've uploaded a folder on Dropbox (due to screenshot file sizes being large) which shows my floor plan and also annotated the chimneys breasts and box room walls to be removed (I should highlight - it's the ground floor chimney breasts only as loft breasts and roof stacks have been removed previously before we bought the house). There is also a quick Solidworks sketch showing the removal of the small room wall which is perpendicular to the joists (joists running from front to rear or property).

Dropbox link here: Dropbox - 3x joists

Basically, my concern is that I've propped up the ceiling and removed the box room walls and there are 3 joists which are running from the front to the rear and are unsupported the whole way. There were about 6 or 7 joists which were supported above the (now-removed) box room wall and also on top of the 'bedroom' and 'lounge' (as per the floor plan) but when I've removed the box room wall - most of them are supported by the walls of the 'bedroom' and 'lounge'.

The 3 joists which are running along the hallway would be completely unsupported if I removed the props. So, I was given a bit of advice that I can make a 90mm cut into the 3 unsupported joists then put two 2x8's in that cut-space secured to the joists nearest to the 3 unsupported joists with double joist hangers, then I can secure the 3 unsupported joists to those 2x8s's, again with joist hangers - and this would then support the 3 joists by using the joists nearest to them, which are bearing on the 'bedroom' and 'lounge' walls.

I hope this makes sense and the Dropbox link makes it easy to understand what I'm saying. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of this and if it's all OK to proceed with as I don't want to go cutting 90mm spaces in the joists if not!

Cheers, e_p

Sponsored Links
It's a structure engineer job? They advise. I contact another one for advice.

Those drawings are making my eyes hurt! Some photos and simple pencil sketches would be clearer.

I think you want to "trim" the unsupported joists - Google "joist trimming". If you've removed supporting walls and increased the effective spans of any joists you'll need to check they are still adequate. Does the bungalow have an upstairs or is it just ceiling joists?

Sponsored Links
Those drawings are making my eyes hurt! Some photos and simple pencil sketches would be clearer.

I think you want to "trim" the unsupported joists - Google "joist trimming". If you've removed supporting walls and increased the effective spans of any joists you'll need to check they are still adequate. Does the bungalow have an upstairs or is it just ceiling joists?
Superb, thanks! A quick look on google and that is indeed what I was trying to get across!

Noted on the drawing. I had hoped that doing it Solidworks would have made it easier. I appreciate you taking the time and persevering with them.

The first hit on Google was a video of someone talking about a) terminology of trimmer/trimmed/trimming joists and b) increasing thickness, so I will get up the loft with the measure to see what they are as I haven’t checked the size of them yet. I think the trimmer will be in the region of 1250-1500mm but I’ll have a look at the distance between the trimming-joists-to-be whilst I’m up there getting the size of the joists used.

There is no upstairs, it’s just the loft with the ceiling joists.

Cheers, e_p

It is an SE's job to help you there. I would seek out another. Explain what you are doing and see if he will take on the survey / remedy.

Thanks. I found them through Checkatrade so maybe I'll see about that guarantee that they've emailed me twice saying I can activate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back