Junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading through some posts on the site. Dare I say it, some people seem to be junction-box-ist.

Why?

Sponsored Links
Because the most likely place for a fault to develop is where there is a join in the cable. This is bad enough when it is behind a socket, but a lot worse when the damn thing is hidden somewhere under the floor.

There have been numerous, shall we say, 'debates' regarding JB's. Inaccessible screw connections are against regulations and as far as the NICEIC is concerned under the floorboards is NOT accessible unless a trap is provided, marked, kept readily accessible and its position noted in documentation available to users of the installation. The loft is another area of contention for some. Buried under plaster ( a really common finding) is right out.

So, if you can avoid them at all then it is preferable to so do.

Sponsored Links
What are peoples opinions of JB's for Lighting?

I use them when I cant do the switching in a pendant drop, or if I know they are planning on changing fittings, try and locate them accessible when in lofts, and if under the floor mark the floor (sometimes theres just no choice)

And where possible use something like a six way and switch as many lights as possible from one box.

David

use crimps in a chockbox

crimps are exempt from accessibility requirements

another option is to wire your lighting cuircuits using "brown and earth" and single core double insulated blue but theese cables are a bit tricky to get (And unfortunately i've been unable to find any pictures online)

so you loop the lives (using brown and earth to the switches) the neutrals to the lights (using single core double insulated black) and then link the switches to the lights with brown and earth

as opposed to using black and red for as long as possible???

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back