Just some advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a hot-tub wired in....

Hot tub is in rear garden, consumer unit is by front door..
Electrician has quoted £300 all in, which is...

Fit 32a MCB to spare way in Consumer unit (main switch has RCD built in)

Out of CU in 20mm conduit, out through wall, round side of house still in conduit with 4mm Twin and earth, down to a junction box where the cable will change to 4mm armoured with swa glands, then armoured will be run under decking for about 2.5 meters, then clipped to bottom of of wall for 2 mtrs, then into ip65 rotory isolator, don't know exact length of cable run but does not exceed 20 mtrs.

Just wanted to check, method and price really before I give the guy the job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell without looking at it, but sounds a fair price and method. You could always get two other quotes and see what they say..

Thanks, Yeah I did think about getting some other prices, but if this is fair I would rather give this guy the work, he's a friend of a friend.

Im just really sceptical with things like this.

You could still get other people in to quote.

Is he proposing steel conduit outside, or plastic?

Image260.jpg

Sponsored Links
Plastic, which I believe is ok, maybe this was him trying to keep costs down for me?

That was more me than him, I think conduit looks better (less industrial) because its got to run down the outside of the house, also my consumer unit is mounted in the hallway on show and thought conduit would look better than a big black cable terminated in a brass gland.

That was more me than him, I think conduit looks better (less industrial) because its got to run down the outside of the house, also my consumer unit is mounted in the hallway on show and thought conduit would look better than a big black cable terminated in a brass gland.
I suppose these are personal decisions. As far as visible internal bits are concerned, a bit of paint (or even conduit) would presumably make the aesthetics no different from that of T&E cable. For the outdoor run, I suppose it's a matter of personal taste - I think that many (including myself) would say that black SWA was more aesthetically acceptable than white plastic conduit (and black plastic conduit would look much the same, but larger, than SWA). Metal conduit is probably the 'neastest', but you'd probably regard that as looking 'industrial'.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose these are personal decisions. As far as visible internal bits are concerned, a bit of paint (or even conduit) would presumably make the aesthetics no different from that of T&E cable. For the outdoor run, I suppose it's a matter of personal taste - I think that many (including myself) would say that black SWA was more aesthetically acceptable than white plastic conduit (and black plastic conduit would look much the same, but larger, than SWA). Metal conduit is probably the 'neastest', but you'd probably regard that as looking 'industrial'.

Kind Regards, John

I agree and you can make it look neat.

Yes totally agree to personal choices, I just feel that white conduit looks fresher (if conduit ever could) Maybe I'm in the minority :)

But other than personal choices, it would seem this all seems ok.

Price seems fine. I paid £800 for a new garage CU, wiring the garage and 20m of SWA into a second CU in the house.

Well I'm glad my bill isn't going to be £800 :)

Well if everyone is in agreeance with the price and method (apart from my choice of conduit) I think I'll give him the job.

Thanks for all your help/opinions :)

Weirdly....I just read this on another forum, I will mention it to him, But I'm guessing if he is any good, he will know about those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back