Kayak frame using Plastic Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to make a kayak frame using plastic (PVC?) pipe. Can anyone tell me if waste water plumbing pipe is thicker walled than electrical conduit pipe please.:):):) Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes I do believe it is and also the pipe used with the plastic weld cement is stiffer and stronger then the push fit stuff. But you mentiond electrical conduit which makes me think you are referring to the 15mm stuff and not the 32mm and 40mm waste pipe.

I would say don't do this.
Plumbing pipe is not strong enough to handle the forces involved in kayaking, unless all your doing it paddling down a canal.

I would suggest you look for some carbon fiber pipe instead.

Sponsored Links
Thank you to everyone who replied to this post.
I'll be using the kayak on lakes, canal and slow moving rivers.
Carbon fibre rods would be too expensive for this project. Each "pointy end" will be a suitably shaped block of wood.
The intention is to make the kayak "take apart" with the judicious use of dowels and stainless steel bolts.
John

How about trying tent poles?
The modern fibreglass ones that have elastic up the middle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back