Kettle plug melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the kettle for a good few years and had no problems. However the other day I could smell a bit of an electrical smell in the kitchen I tracked this down to the plug on the kettle.

When I removed it, part of the plug had melted. The plug in question was a moulded plug.

It had melted around the top of the live pin. I was able to pull this out which came out along with the fuse and fuse holder.

If it was a fault with the kettle then I would have expected the fuse to blow before the plug melted. Although I am surprised that the MCB on the fusebox didn't blow.

From examining it, it appears that the fuse holder was riveted to the bottom on the live pin before being sealed inside the plug. The rivet felt loose and wobbly. I can only think that it had perhaps been arcing between the live pin and the fuse holder and generating heat that way?

Does that sound a plausible reason?

For now I have replaced the plug with a non-moulded plug and the kettle has continued to work perfectly. I have monitored the plug and the pin hasn't got warm at all.

Is it safe to leave like this now? I presume the original plug was at fault - perhaps it had come loose over the years from being plugged in and removed?

Sponsored Links
I think that's exactly what's happened.....no doubt having oriental origins!
Loose rivets means resistance which means heat, and a new plug will sort it out. UK made electrical gear should be compulsory!
John :)

Fairly recent purchase of a quite expensive charger for 18650 type batteries had one of those small "kettle" type leads with 0.75 flex. Noticed the plug "buzzing", and sure enough the connections in the charger end were duff. Also it was 0.75mm flex, and fitted with a 13A fuse at the plug end. Oriental origins again. Other leads in the house duly checked for fuse rating, but were found to be OK.
I actually meant to post a warning about it here at the time, but forgot until I read this.

Keep an eye on the socket that the plug was in when it melted. The heat from the plug could have damaged the socket. Most common damage is that the springiness of the contacts is reduced and the contact betwwn socket and plug pin is not as good as it was. This can cause heating of the new plug but this time from the poor contact with the socket.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the socket is visually fine but I will bear it in mind as a possibility should further damage occur. It all does seem to be fine but just wanted to check that my theory was correct on why it had failed. Unfortunately it didn't use a kettle lead otherwise I could have just swapped it. It is one of those 360 degree bases. Lakeland kettle - made in China :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back