Kia Sorento owners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just one for any folks out there that own one of these popular 4x4's.
Recently got a trade service bulletin from Kia to check corrosion on the rear axle mountings, axle itself and the differential dome in particular.
In comes a Sorento on an 06 plate, 70k, cared for - and the corrosion is horrendous. The rear axle brackets started as 4mm material, and this one is now below 3mm thick - and thats as accurately as I can measure.
If they rust down to 2.5mm, then its trouble time! The diff dome looks as if it will become porous any minute :eek:
A great shame - the exterior paintwork is perfect.
John :)

Sponsored Links
hi john dont suppose you have any tsb's on the ford smax by chance do you. ;)

Nothing has come my way, but as I'm not in the trade officially (or any trade officially :p ) its the owners with vehicles out of warranty that come to me.
The only problem I've had with these was with the brake vacuum pump (diesel) and when I mentioned this to Ford they knew nothing about it.
Funny how there's been a recall, huh?
The S Max is a well sorted vehicle, but doesn't like the bells and whistles fitted electrical wise on the high spec models.

Sponsored Links
Continuing with the Sorento.....the Kia fix is to whack the rust shards off with a hammer, drill 4 holes in the shock brackets to prevent water retention, spray with a zinc aerosol and then apply several coats of Kia compound WS0920892071.
Thats stone chip, to thee and me. The rust clock is ticking, as all of that will do nowt.

Remember the MK1 Starlet, they all had to be bought back and thrown into a skip because of the exact same problem. The only one's that survived over here were metallic finished ones, built in Japan.

Toyota and recalls ........................ somethings never change

Back