Kink in flexible hose

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Installed a new kitchen tap and when I was tightening up the flexible hose to the mains feed I noticed I had put a kink into the hose. I did untighten it but then it started to leak but once I tightened it up again there was no leaks but the kick is there.

I've no leaks but should I replace the flexible hose?

1726946071345.png

1726946095792.png

1726946121848.png

Sponsored Links
Release the hose and get rid of the kink in the hose and it should be fine.
The fitting that the hose connects to appears to be a coupler ,compression fitting, designed to be used with an olive and nut. Using it as you are isn't ideal as the seal of the Flexi is tightened against a sharp edge rather than a flat face.

Could be a 15mm to 1/2" coupler??

OP - turn off the water - loosen the female and off the coupler and take a pic of that end of the coupler can you?

Then when re-fitting the flexi, hand tighten the nut onto the fitting, then take a pair of grips or pliers and hold onto the crimped end of the flexi pipe above the nut. When tightening the nut, this should stop the pipe from turning and kinking the flexi. Don't tighten the nut up too much.

Could be a 15mm to 1/2" coupler??
As I'm in Ireland were 1/2" pipes are still the standard it could well be.

OP - turn off the water - loosen the female and off the coupler and take a pic of that end of the coupler can you?
Just so I understand you correctly you are asking me to loosen the nut at the flexi side and take a photo of that? Or on the pex side?

Sponsored Links
A picture of the surface of the end of the coupler, after the Flexi hoses nut has been taken off, would enable us to determine it's suitability. You do not disconnect the coupler from the supply pipe.

1727020741825.png

1727020817724.png

I've tried readjusting the flexi hose but it always seems to want to go back to the kink. Guess I am better just to replace the whole hose?
1727020904537.png

The fitting is indeed a compression coupler and an olive and nut should be used. You can buy tap tail adaptors ,which would fit into that coupler,and you will need an olive and nut too of course. The Flexi hose connects to the adaptor. I would replace the Flexi hose too ,as it's now been twisted several times.

The fitting is indeed a compression coupler and an olive and nut should be used. You can buy tap tail adaptors ,which would fit into that coupler,and you will need an olive and nut too of course. The Flexi hose connects to the adaptor. I would replace the Flexi hose too ,as it's now been twisted several times.
I was a bit confused about this as I couldn't visualise it but then I came across this video
were he talks about the end of the fitting isn't flat and would cut into the rubber washer thus causing a leak in the future. Then re-reading your first reply and it all makes sense.

Am I correcting in saying this has everything I need?

Or should I just get them separately?

I do already have these

The flomasta tap connectors are completely wrong,no use for you.
The adaptors and nuts are exactly what I referred to.
You need 15mm olives ,the end of the adaptor that goes into the coupler is 15mm.

A little tip to prevent the hose from twisting as it has done before.....
Fit the olive and adaptor into the fitting and tighten the nut to make the joint. Then connect the Flexi hose to the adaptor tighten it by hand as much as you can ,then hold the Flexi hose with one hand to prevent it from moving and use your other hand with a spanner to finally tighten the flexis nut which should probably only need a quarter to half a turn .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back