Kitchen Door to Garden Blocked Off - Breach of Regs? (+more)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
Long time lurker, first-time poster..!

Lots of sensible advice on these forums so hopefully somebody can please give me the benefit of their experience.

I'm currently in the process of buying a 17-year-old four-bed detached house for my own private residential use. About 5 years ago the current owner has made a few 'modifications' that I need to canvass expert opinion on please:

1. The only door to the garden in the kitchen (ie the 'back door') has been boarded over and plastered (the door is still on the outside of the house, but no longer usable..!). Is this in violation of any codes, specifically regarding fire escape? The kitchen is on the ground floor and the only usable door in/out is now via the front hallway (with front door off the hall). The windows in the kitchen are not escape windows. There is another 'back door' via the conservatory off the lounge. Which leads me on to...

2. The conservatory was built without planning permission yet is in breach of regs as there are no doors between it and the lounge. The owners say there used to be doors on it when it was built (hence no planning requirement - it satisfies the other normal requirements) but these were subsequently removed at a later date. What are the potential ramifications of this?

3. OK, the biggie: The main central load-bearing wall between dining room and lounge was knocked through without BR sign-off. I don't necessarily doubt the integrity of the modification as there are no signs of stress or movement, but the owner (who claims to be an engineer and did his own calcs - proof of both is pending) has offered an indemnity insurance by way of resolution. What exactly would this cover, and how would my house insurer (and mortgage company, who I assume I must declare this to) view things? Can I expect to pay vastly-inflated premiums as the building work is not certified?

Sorry for the essay, but all opinion would be greatly appreciated..!

Sponsored Links
The back door is most likely not a problem. Ask yourself the question; if I was in x room and fire broke out, could I easily escape without having to pass the seat of the fire?

The conservatory does not comply. It's your choice really whether you are happy with this or not?

Load bearing wall was altered without regulations. Again, your choice. If it was done several years ago and has not cracked and showing no signs of defect then it's probably OK.

Your main issues are; Building regs might come along later and take out enforcement action against you. In fact, they won't. But the indemnity insurance covers you just in case they do. (which they won't)

Secondly, you will get exactly the same problem when you come to sell the house. So, negotiate a reduction to reflect this - or to get the work one. Make the vendor an offer with a take it or leave it. Their choice! But they may say get lost, you take it or leave it. Your choice!

Either way, don't fret too much over it. Nobody's going to come and knock your house down.

Thanks for the reply Jeds - it's pretty much confirmed my own thoughts. There is no room for further negotiation on the price as the original deal was pretty good to start with. They have offered an indemnity insurance and the work shown no signs of movement after several years so I'm relatively happy to proceed 'as is'.

Thanks again. Probably won't be my last set of questions..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back