Kitchen Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding two new lights in my kitchen to the end of a loop in system. One of the lights is a spotlight with a connector block in the recessed area with room for 4 wires. The last light is a regular pull down light with a connector blockwith spac efor two wires.

I asked the electrician in B&Q if I needed to buy a junction box or anything (All the books I have aren't very clear) but he said I should just put all the red wires together, all the blacj together and all the earth. Is this correct? Any sites that might have diagrams? Thanks

Sponsored Links
not sure what you mean by a "pull down light" but if they are all 240 v and your existing lights are 240 v then yes connect the reds togeter, the blacks to gether, and the earths together (all separately, so all reds, nothing else etc)

Thanks, sorry, bad description I just mean a regular kitchen light (It's one of those ones that you can pull down to different levels)

Anyway I've tried connecting all reds, blacks an earths together (all separately) but I just blow the fuse at the consumer unit. The last light on the circuit doen't have an earth wire. Is this the problem? I have the earth wire from the previous light and the switch terminating at the last light. Is this wrong??

Thanks again

you should connect all the reds, blacks etc to the wires that go to an existing light, not the switch

Sponsored Links
Cheers, where should I conect the wires from the switch?

you dont, since the switch already turns the lights on and off

Sorry, I don't get it.

This is a new light and a new switch, I don't understand where the wires from the switch should connect to on the new light? I had connected all similar coloured wires together but if this is wrong the wires from the switch must connect to somewhere.

you wont get it, because you never mentioned NEW SWITCH, until your final post, that is why you are having problems.

I, as the electrician in b & q assumed you just wanted to add the new lights to the existing lights. (sorry what may seem obvious to you isn't to every one else)

go back and get a junction box, it will be easier then see this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back