Kitchen taps advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace the CD valve on my kitchen taps. From what I gather this valve is supposed to come undone using a wrench, is this correct?

I am struggling to remove the old one, I have attached a photo as I want to double check that this type of valve is definitely removable.

If I'm right and they are supposed to undo, any ideas on how to get it to shift?! There was tons of limescale which I've removed but it's not budging.

They are Bristan pillar lever taps.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with the rest of the tap. The valve needs replacing which I've stated. If you cant help with my question then not sure why you commented.

Sponsored Links
1. I can't see any picture on your post.
2. If it is a ceramic disc valve on pillar lever taps then there will be one cartridge each for hot and cold.
3. Not worth changing one without the other as they tend to wear out at roughly the same time.
4. The valves themselves cannot (realistically) be taken to pieces, but each cartridge can be removed by unscrewing the hexagonal nut (usually brass) from the body of the tap. It is then replaced in its entirety.
5. It can be difficult to identify what cartridge(s) are required. There are multiple types with different spindle diameters, numbers of splines on the spindle and different lengths of parts.
6. If you know the exact make and model of the taps you should be able to find new cartridges fairly easily.
7. If you don't know the exact make and model you will need very accurate measurements. You might try tapmagician when you have measured.
8. It can be quicker, and even sometimes cheaper, to replace the entire tap(s) than to identify and source new cartridges.

To add to oldbuffer's very complete and accurate post:

I carry the following parts as van stock and reckon to be able to fix 85% of the dripping 1/4 turn kitchen mixers I encounter

First step is check the if the old handle fits the new cartridge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back