Laminate floor under kitchen units ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I'm laying a lam floor in my kitchen. Which is best, to lay the flooring right up to the walls (and under the units) or to fit the kitchen units, and floor just under the kick boards.
2 thoughts:
1. If units are installed on the lam. will it settle leaving the units semi-suspended.
2. If I place a washing machine on lam, will it jive about 'cos of the underlay.

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen units have plinths there is no point in laying the laminate floor under them. If the units have exposed legs then you will have to lay the laminate under them.

If the laminate is laid properly and your kitchen units fitted properly. then neither of your worries should be a problem

The way I do it,is to take the plinths off the base units and let the laminated floor run underneath (approx 50mm) then re-cut the plinths resting onto the laminated flooring.This way would allow laminated expansion and when butting up to wall or skirting you should allow 3/8" gap round the edge (follow the manufacter instruction).I wouldn't advise you putting the washing machine on top of laminated flooring as it tend to vibrate the whole floor area and could find the flooring lift up like a tent in the middle.Also make sure the laminated flooring is suitable for kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back