Large double storey extension plans and first quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all! We are just embarking on a journey to extend our diminutive cottage by doubling the footprint. For a bit of background, we are a semi detached property with nobody else in the immediate surroundings, and next door have already completed the same size extension although they had a different floorplan due to an existing loft conversion. We are quietly confident we should be able to get the same planning permission. I have already got an Architect on board, who has come up with a fairly simple design (as requested) without moving too much about (bathroom and kitchen staying in same place) and he thinks that keeping the ground floor extended room open would serve well as a living space which can be divided with furniture and be more useful. I would love it if this hivemind of people who have already completed extensions cast an eye over the floorplan and tell me if they think I'm missing a trick or not visualising it properly, I can see it working but I wonder if it would be better to use the space better. I have attached pictures that I replicated using a floorplan app (couldn't scan his designs at home), and although it's a bit rough it does give the general idea. The extension would be 50m2 double storey, adding an extra large living space, entrance, WC, boot room and utility downstairs and 2 bedrooms (totalling 3 large, one small) and an extra en suite and dressing room upstairs.

If anyone is interested, I've had 2 quotes so far, one from a large firm who rough quoted £200k (not including fixtures and fittings) and another small outfit quoted £130k finished.

Just felt the need to edit and say that we are still considering whether or not to extend or just move. But we won't find another house like we have, the area is perfect and we have 0.3 acre plot here. I showed the plans to the estate agent who sold it to us and they said would look to market it at 425k (pre-pandemic and the house market going silly), we bought it for 270k, we would just about break even or even lose a bit initially but the hope is house prices will continue to rise slowly.

Attachments

• Ground Floor 1.jpeg
    Ground Floor 1.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 208
  • New project.jpeg
    New project.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 196
  • New project.jpeg
    New project.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Ground Floor 3.jpeg
    Ground Floor 3.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its material that's making the prices over inflated... we had quotes around 60 - 70k when we first got planning consent, its now around 100k :( 2 years later..

If you have the value in your house when complete then go for it even more so if its going to be your house for life!

What part of the country are you -it makes big difference on costs

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the 'Architect' to draw those plans :eek:

Prices sound within the the realms of reasonableness given material prices are crazy. Large firms likely add a higher margin as they have more overheads

Sponsored Links
Hi all, sorry for not replying, I completely forgot I posted!

Thank you for your comments, materials are definitely seeming to be the issue, we have decided to put it on the back burner for now, while we wait for the world to calm down, and will revisit again in 2 years.

Notch7 - we are south west England!

Kingandy2nd - Fear not, that was a creation I made using a floorplan app!! I do have drawings but I've used that app as I keep tinkering with the layout!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back