Laying Tongue & Groove Floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

We have recently (8 weeks ago) had the floor in our dining room levelled with a self-levelling compound and now plan to lay new T&G floorboards.

I may have been rather hasty in my decision to purchase the T&G floorboards but hey ho! The floorboards are about 1" think and 4.2metres in length.

My question is, what lengths should I cut the boards to? I want to avoid having continual lines, rather have a more random effect.

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How are you fixing ? Staggered boards would be less secure than single boards end to end .( no t&g on the ends).

Thanks for the reply.

I planned laying 5mm gold foil insulation/DPM and placing the floorboard on top. Using a bead of glue along the top edge of the tongue As you say, there's no T&G at the ends of the board where they'll be cut.

I could use the entire length of the board as the room measures 3.8m x 3.3m - the boards are 4.2m long.

I have to admit that when laying oak flooring at least a percentage of what we are supplied is random lengths - whilst single strips may be a little stronger in theory, it looks as boring as hell to my (admittedly jaundiced) eye. Some flooring suppliers can supply end jointing cutters for use with a router as well, but if you think about it traditional softwood T&G boarding didn't have end tongues or grooves. What adhesive are you using?

Sponsored Links
I agree with your comment = boring in long lengths. I think the cuts give a bit of character and colour changes at the cut that looks nice.

I'm not sure which glue would be the best choice - I've never done this before but have time to get it looking good - I hope :)

I'd tentatively suggest a D4 PVA (NOT a PU glue under any circumstances) because glue squeeze-out can be wiped-off with a damp cloth (providing you are quick) and because floors ideally need waterproof glues. With T&G flooring you'll ideally need some form of cramping to pull the joints together until the glue sets

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

I'm beginning to think I need to get a pro in to do this job! I have watched a few videos on YouTube and not seen the use of clamping although I'm sure I read about it somewhere :) I wonder what is used to clamp? Do you know a brand of D4 PVA glue?

Thanks

John

For D4 PVA try EverBuild from Toolstation, amongst other places:

Everbuild D4 Wood Adhesive.jpg

Cramping on floating engineered or laminate flooring is often achieved with sets available from flooring suppliers. What does your flooring supplier recommend?

Bessey Floor Clamping Set 001_01.JPG

Bessey Floor Clamping Set 001_02.JPG

That is a top of the line Bessey (trade) set, but TBH the expansion joints at the edges can be dealt with by using simple folding wedges or packers and there are far cheaper band cramps around for one off jobs. This video shows how they are used whilst a longer video showing a (speeded-up) installation can be found here. Note that in the second video the installer is using home-made spacers, but also that he is wearing substantial knee pads (very necessary, although for a one off one of those foam gardening kneeling pads would suffice) and that he is making use of a non-marring rubber mallet (this should be white to prevent marring)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

As I said, I was overly hasty when I purchased standard pine T&G floorboards from a local builders merchants to do the job - I should have done my research first!

Anyway, as I paid for the boards a few months ago I might as well have a go, the worst that can happen is that it all ends up in the log burner :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back