Leaking auto air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently had a plumber out to fix my unvented indirect cylinder which keeps losing pressure. Unfortunately he didn’t fix the issue and caused a leak instead. I’ve noticed the issue seems to be the auto air vent which leaks when I re-pressurise it. I have bought the part can I just replace it myself? I’m £200 down from the plumper and because of the epidemic out of work. I’m struggling to find instructions on how to change it. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great :) It is Heatrae Sadia Premier Plus. Many thanks

Attachments

• C930EE40-B88E-4C1D-8C31-0A7FCA082B5B.jpeg
    C930EE40-B88E-4C1D-8C31-0A7FCA082B5B.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 0F2AACD4-DD35-4255-AE9D-DE6E98F4EEC1.jpeg
    0F2AACD4-DD35-4255-AE9D-DE6E98F4EEC1.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 260
  • 69DD451C-42D9-452C-B041-10C5F612CE1E.jpeg
    69DD451C-42D9-452C-B041-10C5F612CE1E.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Boiler?

U probably mean an un vented hot water cylinder?

Which has an auto air vent on the flow pipe from the boiler?

Which should have a plastic cap on the air out let?

Many can be screwed shut??

Invented cylinder is exactly what I mean.
I’ve posted some pictures now

Sponsored Links
As transam said you can screw down the cap just like a bicycle dust cap. Clockwise

It’s been tightened as much as possible. Even now I’ve just tightened it and water is puddling on the top 2 minutes later.

Maybe I’m using the wrong term. To get hot water everyday I need to connect the filling loop to the cold main and to the system until the dial on the boiler goes to green. After 24hours it will be back in the red.

The valve only leaks when I’ve repressurised it so what would happen if while the pressure had dropped and it wasn’t leaking I switched the air vent to a new one?

The valve only leaks when I’ve repressurised it so what would happen if while the pressure had dropped and it wasn’t leaking I switched the air vent to a new one?

You would need to drain the system a bit first. If your capable and know what's what then you can fix yourself . It's not hard

OK, that's not your unvented cylinder then, that's the auto air vent (AAV) that allows the heating coil that's in your cylinder, that is supplied by your boiler, to be bled.
You would need to shut down your boiler, de-pressurise the system and replace the AAV. If your hot water cylinder is above your radiators you may get away without draining down, just de-pressurise.

It’s positioned upstairs and it is higher than at least the mid point of all the radiators, is that ok?
By tomorrow morning it will be depressurised so if I switch it off then can I just replace it with the part I have bought do you think? What’s the worst that can happen?

There is a little plastic float inside the aav, they get stuck with bits of gunk from the central heating water, before you change it try giving the body a few sharp taps and see if you can free it,

If you have a water vacuum it would help and make the the boiler hasn't been on for a while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back