Leaking close coupling toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYnot,

In sorting out one bathroom issue - we have discovered another.

The bathroom close coupling toilet seems to have a leak from the right hand side screw (images below).

Here is the toilet.

toilet.jpg

This is what the left hand size screw looks like. Old, but dry.

LHS.jpg

But this is the right hand side (image 1).

RHS distance.jpg

And image 2. I think you can see how it is more rusty and more wet.

RHS close.jpg

Do I just need to turn off the water. Remove the remaining water at the bottom of the cistern after a flush. Undo everything. And fit a new close coupling kit (link)?

Another thought - with that level of rust on the RHS, do you think I'm going to have any issues getting things apart?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Yes ,you may have difficulty removing the screws.
Yes ,your method is correct,and the cistern MAY also be screwed to the wall.
There is more than one way to connect cistern to pan ,your link of the coupling kit may be the one you need.

Yes ,you may have difficulty removing the screws.

That might be an understatement. I would suggest being prepared for them being impossible to remove, think in terms of finding a way to cut the wing-nuts off, by either drilling into the side off the nut, or using a mini-grinder.

Sponsored Links
Soak them with wd40 long before you attempt to remove.

If that fails, they'll need mullering or cutting... Force with grips is often enough to break them else grinder, multitool or hacksaw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back