Leaking new shower door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier in the year we had a Cruze B Shaped Shower Bath unit that came together fitted by a bathroom renovator. At the base of the hinge the leakage of water is getting increasingly worse, even fully closed as water trickles down to the floor. Not so bad in summer but in winter it will be a problem.

I have sealed the gap to the left adjacent to the wall myself which seems to have reduced it but it still pours through the hinge curve. I could seal there also but the movement of the hinge will just pull it loose. It is obviously a design flaw. Is there any way around this other than having a towel on the floor every time we take a shower ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240703_095751.jpg
    IMG_20240703_095751.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
I have sealed the wall plate inside and out with clear waterproof 151 silicone sealant. It is the hinge itself which leaks but I haven't sealed that because of the movement would pull it loose. I have checked the glass seal and it is the correct way round.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, I understand but there is so much movement wouldn't that undermine the silicone ? I tried putting it on the other way and it goes against the curve and flips off the glass. The longest part of the flap facing outside is correct.

Show us a pic of of the seal ,viewed from the end of it. And a picture of the whole screen to bath edge.
That angled part of the seal on the external of the bath rim will do nothing at all.

The door and seal came with the bath. It is longer at the end but this is how it arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_20240704_114111.jpg
    IMG_20240704_114111.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240704_114127.jpg
    IMG_20240704_114127.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 31
Was that seal curved to the shape of the screens glass when it was new ,or was it a straight length ?
It looks to me that the current orientation is wrong and the outside of it should be on the inside of the bath.
It should also be trimmed to fit ,at both ends, and shouldn't hang out past the glass as it is now .

Unfortunate in the design you have.

I always advise my (potential) customers to go with a fixed panel with a hinged swinging screen.

Like yours the ones that hinge on the wall near enough always leak. Unless maybe the quality screens.

The rubber seal is backward.

I have tried fitting it the other way round and I can assure you it won't work. I think it is the correct way because the longest part of the flap is facing the right way but I can't say for sure what shape it was as my builder fitted it from the kit.

I have tried fitting it the other way round and I can assure you it won't work. I think it is the correct way because the longest part of the flap is facing the right way but I can't say for sure what shape it was as my builder fitted it from the kit.
That's your problem.

It looks to me that the current orientation is wrong and the outside of it should be on the inside of the bath.
It should also be trimmed to fit ,at both ends, and shouldn't hang out past the glass as it is now .

I agree with that comment - The seal hanging on the outside edge of the bath, will allow any moisture which lands on the edge of the bath, to run outside the bath. Who ever fitted it like that is obviously clueless, also evidenced by leaving the seal too long.. You always try to deflect water back in..

I cannot fathom what's happening with the vertical hinge seal, but if there is a longer lip, the longer lip should be inboard of the hinge - on the bath side. You try to prevent water escaping, not try to control it once it has escaped - you prevent it getting to the hinge.

The hinge has no seal at all, and water seems to pour under it now. That is because I have put sealent under the wall plate. I will try again to switch the rubber skirt the other way round but I doubt it will lose its shape now.

Appreciate all the suggestions though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back