Leaking parapet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got some damp into the upstairs bedroom and I looked about it looks like we've some crack/damage to the parapet wall you can see in the top part of picture which I think might be contributing. What do you think is the best way to repair this? Could you just fill the crack with render and maybe render the top line of bricks or do you need to rebuild it again. I don't really want to put flashing tape over it as it will look like a bodge job as you can see it from street level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241020_112643_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241020_112643_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Sponsored Links
Scaffolding and repair.
Need someone with experience to advise on that one.
May give a repair cost or more substantial renovation cost.
Then decide..

Did always feel like details like this were a bit naff (I have them, and they're failing in more or less the same way)

Your neighbour has a row lock course atop their parapet; I suspect yours was the same once upon a time, now rendered over to try and prevent an issue like what you're seeing

Over time your coping stones will have migrated down slightly, pushing the wall apart at the bottom where their direction changes; if you want to solve that with some longevity you'll probably need to rebuild it

If the bottom of the wall has no fall, or slopes backwards away from the face of the house, it could easily be shedding water into the wall. There also doesn't appear to be a decent bit of anything to discharges water from the top of the p-wall into the gutter. Any water that successfully runs down the p-wall top will end up flowing down the front of the building, compounding your problem

As a starter for ten you could certainly try gunning that gap full of mortar, hacking out that crack some way and then re-rendering it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back