Leaking under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have absolutely no idea how this is happening but our newly installed kitchen has started to leak under the sink after 2 months. I have unscrewed and re-screwed the connection several times with the black rubber seal in contact fully and yet when screwed on it starts dripping from the left side, and yet this is a new piece and no obscuration in the diameter of the pipe as I have thoroughly checked. So why oh why is this leaking ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240719_192222.jpg
    IMG_20240719_192222.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240719_192702.jpg
    IMG_20240719_192702.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Looks like this part is mis-aligned/cross-threaded ....
1721417696656.png

Sponsored Links
Looks like this part is mis-aligned/cross-threaded ....
View attachment 349620
I've just checked and it's def leaking from the lower connection. I think that water was a drip from splash trying to clean up. It's weeping out all the time while my hand feels the above which is bone dry. I just can't fathom why it is leaking. Even tightening it up more doesn't help.

Attachments

• Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 15
Possibly slightly mis-aligned. slacken off all the other joints in the vicinity then make sure the suspect joint is properly aligned and tighten that first. Firm hand tight should be enough. Tighten all other joints and test.

Ok, I disconnected and reconnected all parts and even swapped the u bend round and it still leaked from the left side of the left U. There seemed to be some minor defect in the thread of the left bend but even swapping that again gave the leak on the left side, and a little on the right. I tightened them both up with slip pliers and so far no leaks. I was going to introduce ptfe tape but it seems it isn't needed. The only difference is the leaking joint won't tighten as much on the left as the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_20240720_143139.jpg
    IMG_20240720_143139.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back