Lean to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a detached property with a side passage. I am planning to building a small wooden lean to shed which will be 2.6 metres tall against the side of the house. We will still have a side passage.
My neighbours kitchen looks on to this and currently they see the fence and the side wall of the house.

Are there any issues with this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If I read this correctly, there will be a gap between the shed and the boundary?
The lower part of your lean to should be under 2.5m

If I read this correctly, there will be a gap between the shed and the boundary?
The lower part of your lean to should be under 2.5m
There is a 85cm walkway between the shed and the boundary. I think the lowest part will be just under 2.5m. It's a very shallow roof.

Technically, the highest part of your shed is 100mm too high, but I can't see your neighbours getting their tape measure out over such a slight 'miscalculation'

You should also be a metre from the boundary unless shed is constructed from mostly non- combustible materials.

What is the size and intended use of this shed?

Technically, the highest part of your shed is 100mm too high, but I can't see your neighbours getting their tape measure out over such a slight 'miscalculation'

You should also be a metre from the boundary unless shed is constructed from mostly non- combustible materials.

What is the size and intended use of this shed?
The shed is to store tools and made purely from timber with a rubber roof. It is around 50cm wide and and 6 metres long. It runs alongside the house and the side passage.
Thanks for your help with this.

I'm afraid so. The rules for side extensions seem to apply, it's not a shed.

It depends on other factors including where it is attached to the house, and the number of storeys.

IIRC, an example anomaly is that you may not be permitted to build a two-storey extension, but you could build a single storey with a really high roof.

It depends on other factors including where it is attached to the house, and the number of storeys.

IIRC, an example anomaly is that you may not be permitted to build a two-storey extension, but you could build a single storey with a really high roof.
Thanks @^woody^. I don't have any concerns from a planning or neighbour complaint point of view then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back