LED LIGHTING

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put 18 led lights (.7w each)in a new kitchen plinth using a toroidal transformer.Can anybody advise on wiring technique.Is it done in a 'daisy chain' fashion ?

Sponsored Links
What voltage LEDs are you using?

If you use a daisy chain (series) and one fails they all fail, like christmas tree lights. Also the, say you are using 12V, the woltage will be shared between them and they may shine dimmer.

Putting LEDs in Parallel will avoid this but you will need to use resistors to lower the voltage (always advisable).

Meblin

If by daisy chain you mean radial, yes.

It is generally not done serially, unless supplied specifically for that purpose.. Sometimes they are. Did you buy them as a kit or what?

as leds are meant to be lit by dc (transformer being ac) you may notice they flicker at 50 hz

Sponsored Links
i see no mention of rectifier, just torodial transformer (probably too big anyway)

They are 12v and using a 50Va toroidal transformer which I presume is DC, TLC say you can use up to 80 lamps using 1.5mm cable.How do I connect these ?. Radial (daisy chain) or parralel (spider)
Thanks in advance

need more info, post link to which you refer on tlc site (or part No)

standard leds are 3v not 12

standard transformers are ac

the recomended transformer is designed FOR the lights.

the lights you have are NOT single LED (which is what your origonal post implied)

wire them in paralell i.e = = = = =

as oposed to in series i.e ------------

Sorry to sound stupid ,but can you expand on the drawing.
Thanks in advance

sh said:
Sorry to sound stupid ,but can you expand on the drawing.
Thanks in advance

ok.

=======================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------

is that better?

seriously the double lines are each of the fittings two wires (all connected to the same place) i.e you could end up with 14 wires at the transformer if you have 7 lights

the single lines are the fittings wires connected to each other i.e in to out in to out etc, so you end up with only two wires

you want the first

breezer said:
seriously the double lines are each of the fittings two wires (all connected to the same place) i.e you could end up with 14 wires at the transformer if you have 7 lights
Breezer - don't you think that the fact that TLC quote different cable sizes for different numbers of lamps indicates that you wire them all on a single radial circuit, rather than 1 per light, i.e. :

lightwiring.jpg

?

If you were to wire in series you would need a larger power supply to obtain the same brightness.

I would say the wiring would be similar to halegon lamps that are connected to 2 wires. One wire is +ve and one is -ve and the lamp creats a link. Breezer's diagram indicated the cablesso it would look like this (is o is a LED)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o- Series

-------------------------------
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o Parallel
-------------------------------

Meblin

i did say paralell but i also said all wire in one place for ease of understanding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back