LED lights not working with dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m having a problem with some LED lights I have just purchased from Haus of Interiors (link below).

When I connect them to the wires they repeatedly flash. When I tried connecting them to a different non dimming switch they worked okay therefore it appears the problem is with the dinner switch. The dimmer switch I currently have are BG (photos attached) and when I opened them on the back they say they are LED compatible.

Any ideas where the problem may lie? Would changing the dimmer switch solve the problem? If so can anyone recommend what type of dimmer switch I should be looking to get?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Reza

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpeg
    IMG_5694.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5695.jpeg
    IMG_5695.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the stupid question. Ive seen this but I purchased the one with the remote dimmer so thought that would also work with the dimmer switch. I also asked the customer services team but they haven’t actually pointed that out to me yet that it doesn’t work with a dimmer switch but I guess you’re right and it would only work with a normal non dimming switch. Seems quite obvious actually. The problem I currently have is that all the lights in my living room are connected to the one dimmer switch. So would the solution be to get a separate non dimming switch for this light?

. Ive seen this but I purchased the one with the remote dimmer so thought that would also work with the dimmer switch.
As seen when viewing the reviews - the "Remote dimmer + warm to cool colors" option, refers to the remote control that it comes with - it will not (likely) be dimmable via an external dimmer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. There are 5 lights in the living room all connected to the one dimmer switch currently. I would like to be able to
Dim them all independently at different levels so smart bulbs is actually a very good and would probably save me in having to call a electrician to
Do some rewiring. I was planning on mixing incandescent and LED lights as part of the same circuit. Is that even possible / advised do you know? If not then replace the incandescent lights with smart LED ones so that they’re all LED and replace the dimmer switch with a normal switch. Would that work? Thanks

Standard switch and smart bulbs should work.
We have a couple of Hue bulbs - Very expensive. Work well and easy to integrate with Alexa.

Quick Amazon browse, I think Tapo (Part of TP-Link, a well established comms kit company) are pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. Think I’ll go down the standard switch / smart bulb route! Cheers

There are a host of options, I have like I suspect most ended up with a host of different makes of smart bulbs, relays, switches and adaptors. The good thing is they can all be imported to google home, which is what the google Nest Mini speakers use, I would think the same is true of Alexa?

So I can walk out of living room, and say hey google turn off living room lights and it does. 1717968998186.jpeg1717969017900.jpeg Or use the google home app, as you can see some lights I can set % others are simple switches, it may lack some of the features found in the devices own app, but hey google set living room lights to 50% or red seems to work for lights which can dim or colour change, setting dusk and dawn controls may be beyond google voice commands but not tried it.

As said TP-link (Tapo) do a magnetic button which you can turn so can set some lights without a phone or voice command, but you will need the phone app to set it up to start with.

Yes can mix tungsten and LED, with some smart switches it is the best option, I know my Energenie smart switches (not dimmer) having one quartz bulb stops them staying on dim and having a shimmer.

Having 8 x E14 smart bulbs for my chandelier works out expensive so they are on a Tapo smart switch, but the display cabinet has dimming and colour temp, and colour changing.

Thanks Ericmark for your message and suggestions, it’s very helpful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back