LED mirror wirh demister pad installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I recently redone my bathroom and I planned to add LED mirror with demister pad. However, I am not sure about wiring it up.

I was planning to wire it up with 1.5mm 2core and earth cable to lighting circuit which is protected by 6A RCD. I wanted to tap into the circuit in the loft with a junction box.

The mirror has its own switch and I wanted to connect it with permanent live from the circuit, so I can turn mirror on without turning lights in the bathroom. By pressing mirror switch it will also turn defogger on. The mirror is also double insulated which does not require an earth connection.

Here is my question: Will this be fine to do?

I don't want the mirror to trip the lights when it is on.

I have attached a photo from back of the mirror to give better idea what I am dealing with.

Many thanks for advice.

Thomas

20240923_190635.jpg
20240923_190643.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician...

If you are picking up the perm live from the ceiling rose, I don't see a problem.

Do connect the earth at the rose even though it is not needed in the mirror. Run it into the mirror and put a connector block/etc over it. In the event that anyone ever accidentally drills in to the cable, they will be protected by the RCD in the consumer unit, assuming that you have one.

I was planning to wire it up with 1.5mm 2core and earth cable to lighting circuit which is protected by 6A RCD
That is probably an MCB, not an RCD
I wanted to tap into the circuit in the loft with a junction box.
Better to do it at a light. Assuming you have loop in wiring at the light. That way you use the terminations at the light and do not need an additional junction box.
I don't want the mirror to trip the lights when it is on.
Why do you think that might happen?

That is probably an MCB, not an RCD
Sorry, that is what I meant.
Better to do it at a light. Assuming you have loop in wiring at the light. That way you use the terminations at the light and do not need an additional junction box.
I do not have loop at the light but in the switch, and I was thinking about it, but there are too many wires already.
Why do you think that might happen?
Just a thought. LEDs do not pull to much load but I am not sure about defogger, as this a heating element. Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back