Left with a big 1st floor wall cavity on patio doors )o:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I was really hoping someone might be able to advise me on what I need to do to fix an issue I've been left with.
We have two inward-opening 1st floor patio windows, but the builders have left us with a gap in the floor cavity with a bit of DPM flapping about.
The builder insisted that he hadn't quoted for this work and wouldn't do it (after a major disaster on his part that took months to correct - I think he just wanted to leave).
No cavity closers have been put in place before the doors were fitted - I'm now unsure if I can somehow slide and C1 them in place - but they need to be structurally sound and I don't want to bodge the job. I'm unsure about just filing with cement as I've heard that's not a good thermal way to go - again, I'm afraid of bodging it.
Pics attached showing the two doors as they have been left, there's a cavity under the DPM that goes down one block to the supporting steel.
I really don't know the best way to move forward, but really need to.
:dunno:

Info & vids that I find only talk about putting the cavity closer on pre-window, not once the frame has already been put in (and it's difficult to secure the closer + packers in the way below the frame).

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
B

Attachments

• 1000008930.jpg
    1000008930.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1000008933.jpg
    1000008933.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1000008934.jpg
    1000008934.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1000008935.jpg
    1000008935.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 1000008936.jpg
    1000008936.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1000008937.jpg
    1000008937.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello everyone,
I was really hoping someone might be able to advise me on what I need to do to fix an issue I've been left with.
We have two inward-opening 1st floor patio windows, but the builders have left us with a gap in the floor cavity with a bit of DPM flapping about.
The builder insisted that he hadn't quoted for this work and wouldn't do it (after a major disaster on his part that took months to correct - I think he just wanted to leave).
No cavity closers have been put in place before the doors were fitted - I'm now unsure if I can somehow slide and C1 them in place - but they need to be structurally sound and I don't want to bodge the job. I'm unsure about just filing with cement as I've heard that's not a good thermal way to go - again, I'm afraid of bodging it.
Pics attached showing the two doors as they have been left, there's a cavity under the DPM that goes down one block to the supporting steel.
I really don't know the best way to move forward, but really need to.
:dunno:

Info & vids that I find only talk about putting the cavity closer on pre-window, not once the frame has already been put in (and it's difficult to secure the closer + packers in the way below the frame).

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
B
Extend the existing joists into the void.

Hi Noseall,
Thanks for the reply -
How do I do that if the joists are cemented down into the blockwork and they end at the start of the void?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why you'd want to extend the joists - but always willing to learn!

Is that dpc supposed to be some kind of crude cavity tray? In which case it should finish pretty much where it does (inside of inner skin). I think I'd fill the void with expanding foam, being careful to put it either side of the dpc so it stays more or less where it is (if you Google "cavity tray" you'll understand it's purpose, and that it's probably there more as a continuation of the (hopefully) section protecting the brickwork either side of the openings). Cavity closers aren't a structural item - they're just foam and plastic - if you fill the void with expanding foam you could set a length of timber (something like a strip of that osb flooring) on top to finish flush with the flooring - it will be strong enough to carry the floor covering.

IMG_20240705_132416911.jpg

I'm not sure why you'd want to extend the joists
If this was built from scratch (and not retro-fitted), those blocks would not be there. Rather, the opening will have been trimmed out at floor level and the joists or some noggings attached to the joists, would have dived into that door reveal, in order to support the floor material, right up to the door threshold.

I like your drawing - but it's a bonkers remedy. (y)

Is that dpc supposed to be some kind of crude cavity tray?
It is a standard cavity tray, and serves no useful purpose in that opening. I'd cut it and fit it against the external masonry, along with a wee bit of PIR, to thermally protect the single skin.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back