Lifting carpet and floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a spongy/bouncy area in my living room on suspended timber floor. I want to lift part of the carpet and a floorboard or two to get my head in and have a look under. The carpet was new when me moved in ( about 2 months ago) so don't want to ruin it. I have a carpet kicker and was wondering once I have it partially up, do I need to rip off the glued down underlay and then buy some more, glue it down and then re-lay the carpet over? Also what's the best way to pull up a board or two?

Sponsored Links
do I need to rip off the glued down underlay and then buy some more, glue it down and then re-lay the carpet over? Also what's the best way to pull up a board or two?
You might be able to run a Stanley blade, along the groves between boards, to lift boards complete with underlay.

Floorboards are tongue and groove edges, so they interlock. The only way to get one up, that has not been up before, is to cut the tongues off, at either side of each floor board. A multi-tool, with a half-moon shaped blade, makes that part easier.

Before that, you need to decide, which board would be easiest to lift, easiest, is one that has board finish, in a handy place for easing up, otherwise, you will have to saw one across the grain. Any board cut across the grain, should be cut in the middle of a joist, but avoiding the nails.

To actually lift the nailed down boards, hammer a bolster chisel down the gap, which you cut earlier with a multi-tool blade, and prise the board up.

You will likely need a couple of boards up, side by side, to be able to see very much.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back