light bulbs keep poppin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
at a friend of mine's the kitchen light keeps poppin bulbs. he has tried the cheepo bulbs and the not-so-cheap bulbs and they still last up2 2 month. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
i bet the ones he is using are too small

try ones like this

bulb.jpg

seriously, price has something to do with it, but i can supply you with a cheapo lamp, but charge you a lot for it. it is quality brand that counts.
Also are they being dimmed?
are they on transformers

they were decent lamps. mains voltage and not bein dimmed. there are 3 bulbs per light ( 2 lights in the kitchen)

wouldn't be gu 10 lamps would they? (pic in the for reference section)

Sponsored Links
not sure. al be goin over later to see if i can find anything wrong with them

Kitchens get very hot, and R63 and R80 etc type lamps don't last in that environment at all. GU10's perform better, but still do blow for a past time.

I'm under the impression that worn light switches can reduce the life of light bulbs. I don't quite understand the mechanism, but my landing light fitting had the problem where bulbs wouldn't last more than a week. I changed the switch for a new one, and no more problem.

I also remember, when I was a kid, the round bakelite switches. With these, if you moved the switch very slowly, you could hold it at the point where it was sparking. Held in this position, it would blow any bulb within about 30 seconds.

I can only imagine that the contacts act as a capcitor, just before the final short, leading to a discharge, in series with the mains voltage, as they touch, giving a surge of overvoltage.

Perhaps someone knows better, and I'm talking round things. :confused:

have been round to the house and its also the bedroom above the kitchen where the bulbs keep poppin. done the R1+R2 and it was 0.83. however, the insulation wasnt so good. P-N over 600, P-E over 600, N-E 2.3. could this have anything to do with the bulbs keep goin?

EDIT bulbs are also rated 240V, but the voltage was 249V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back