Light fittings vs insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced a plasterboard ceiling and stuffed insulation across the whole room.

I hadn't considered leaving air flow for the light fittings - what's a sufficient space to leave? A fire isn't desirable.

I can't bear taking sections back down so hope drilling a hole through the boards then tearing enough insulation for the light fitting is sufficient.

Sponsored Links
What type of lights?

Is the cable resting on or in the insulation?

Its not just lights, cables can also be affected by burying in insulation

Downlights come with instructions that detail clearances on all sides and above the fitting.

Approx 100mm is normal, so you'll have to pull a lot out.

What a shame to have created that nice cozy layer, and the reduction to sound transmission between the floors, only to wreck it by turning the ceiling into swiss cheese.

Each to his own, I suppose.

Re the wiring, I hope that this is clipped closely to the joists? As mentioned above by rocky, the cable will not like being buried in insulation.

Sponsored Links
Ban

I have posted your links in another thread.

Perhaps they could go in the Wiki if they're not already?

Is the 2007 article in the wiki the one you link to here?

The other two I cannot find in the wiki.

I have from some aurora downlights that are "insulation covered" downlights, looks like they are about £20 each in the net. I am going to ask my electrician if he can fit those for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back