Light Loop not receiving much Voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The extension at our house has a double switch on the wall. One for the light and one for an extractor fan. The light and fan both stopped working at the same time (quite a while ago but been using a lamp in the meantime)

We are in the process of redecorating the room and I want to fix the light specifically.

I have replaced the switch and the light fixture but to no avail.

I have checked the old switch using multimeter and was working fine.

The wiring in the ceiling has 3 sets of wires (read previous threads for guides on this.) The switch wire was marked and I have tested this and verified with my multimeter. Having wired up nothing is working (the only difference to the diagram I saw was that the fixture I have doesn't have an earth connector so I just connect the three earths together, assume this is is OK?).

I have then checked the voltage across the wires and found there is little to no voltage there.

Wire 1. Live to neutral 0.81v. Live to earth 0.347v. neutral to earth 0.488v.

Wire 2. Live to neutral 0v. Live to earth 1.193v neutral to earth 1.193v

Switch wire on. Live to neutral 0v Live to earth 4.14v neutral to earth 4.14v

Switch wire off. Live to neutral 0.561v Live to earth 3.4v. neutral to earth 4v.

Am I doing something wrong is there an issue with the supply into the room?

Many thanks for any help and support.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sponsored Links
You could have a faulty live, neutral or earth or a couple of the above

Take extreme care is my advice

Are you sure your multimeter is set to measure AC volts and not DC volts?

Are you sure your multimeter is set to measure AC volts and not DC volts?
Yes, was definitely AC.

Am I in the realms of needing to call a professional here or is there anything more I can do?

Attachments

• 20240814_110252.jpg
    20240814_110252.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Do you know where the extension is fed from, sometimes small extension lights are supplied via a 5amp fuse off the socket circuit

Yes, was definitely AC.

Am I in the realms of needing to call a professional here or is there anything more I can do?
If not already done so, measure some AC volts elsewhere to make sure your meter is working correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back