Light sockets in two rooms mounted on timber inside wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a follow on (minor disaster part b) from my 'issue' whereby the lighting cable was cut too short within the wall.
This socket was wall mounted with the light switch attached to a piece of timber inside the wall. As I chiselled this out slightly (to fit a flush back plate) alongide a little brick I noticed this had the unfortunate effect of knocking off the plaster in an adjoining room. It appears that the light switch on the next room is attached to the other side of the timber (and the cables appear to come from within that piece of wood??).
The plaster isn't admittedly around the other rooms switch so patch up and skim isn't a major headache.
I wanted to flush the other rooms switch eventually anyhow, but as I've already taken some of the thickness away on the other side (and I don't want to knock the plaster on the first room) are there any workarounds I can follow? I'm guessing I'll have to extend the cores and move it to the left/right otherwise they simply wouldn't stretch that far.

Was it common practice (the house is nigh on 60 years old) to mount switches on timber on two side of a wall?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You often find a piece of timber wedged in a wall, and it's very common to find switches, sockets etc back-to-back.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
evidentaly so

'evidently'

Evidentaly is a small insular town in Sicily...there are no B and Q's there nor cannibal migrants for that matter.

You often find a piece of timber wedged in a wall, and it's very common to find switches, sockets etc back-to-back.

I was worried I might have a hatchett job within my walls...concerned I can't sink a mount on both sounds of the wall tis all.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back