Light switch not working one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys got a 2 way light switch one end for hallway light. The other side I got a 2 gang switch, one for bedroom and one for the hallway light. The hallway light doesn't come on or off when using switch. Bedroom light switch working fine. Checked if any power to this switch on bedroom side , no power. Hence I can only switch hallway light on via the 2 way switch at the other end. Any ideas..? There's a brown wire loose in the 2 way switch, checked for power in wire but nothing.
See pics.

Attachments

• 20240908_190625.jpg
    20240908_190625.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240908_190634.jpg
    20240908_190634.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240908_190648.jpg
    20240908_190648.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240908_200543.jpg
    20240908_200543.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Have you checked for power on the loose brown conductor with all the on off variations of the 2 way switches.

The metal switch plate needs to be earthed.
Has the two way landing light ever worked with both switches ?

Have you checked for power on the loose brown conductor with all the on off variations of the 2 way switches.
No just checked to see if it was live..will try it with switch in both om and off position

Sponsored Links
Alt-two-way-wiring.jpg
It would seem likely this wiring method has been used, where the wires join in the lamp. The com wire is the important one, that needs to go com to com, with the joint in the lamp, swapping L1 and L2 only changes if up or down for on.

Can't see enough in the lamp to confirm that is how wired, but seems most likely method.

Thanks ill check , but I'm pretty sure it's earthed to the backplate, just dirt in front of it..but will double check just to be sure..
The earth terminal on the back of the switch plate is where the earth connection should be made ,in your pic the earth conductors are terminated in the metal mounting box.

With the light off does the 2 gang switch switch it on?
With the light on does the 2 gang switch switch it off?

Can we have pictures of the light showing the wiring please, Like Eric I assume that is the method employed but I think what I see doesn't doesn't match my expectations, however the detail is not good enough to start a diagnosis. So from both sides rather than head on to show as much detail as possible of wires and connexions please.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I suspect it should look something like this
1725910518788.png
But as always it is only an opinion based on some pretty flaky assumptions.

With the light off does the 2 gang switch switch it on?
With the light on does the 2 gang switch switch it off?

Can we have pictures of the light showing the wiring please, Like Eric I assume that is the method employed but I think what I see doesn't doesn't match my expectations, however the detail is not good enough to start a diagnosis. So from both sides rather than head on to show as much detail as possible of wires and connexions please.
No the 2 gang doesn't switch it on or off.one switch in 2 gang is for bedroom which works fine. The other is for light in hallway. Basically, the switch doesnt turn light on or off regardless if light is on...I have to go through hallway and to the kitchen to turn light on or off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back