Lights problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A circuit, fed by 10A MCB (old wylex), the light turned on/off by 2 way switches (each in an end of the corridor).
with no clear reason the lights gone. The MCB trips intermittently, but not wen I was on site, I swapped the MCB with another one = same, checked continuity (by connecting the phase and the neutral in the CU and measured at the switches and the lights connection = OK. Although at the CU where the cable leaving the MCB I measure 237V, nothing reaches to the switches, or to the lights.
I did not have with me a 2 way switch.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Albert

Sponsored Links
What else is on the same circuit? Does any of it work?

You checked continuity, do you mean you checked circuit resistance, and it was low as you would expect from one end to the other. or just beeped ok on continuity test. What were position of switches during test, i.e. n-L connected via lamps?

Have you got the point where the power joins the light/lights, identified the feed and tested at that point? i.e does power get to the junction where it should run off to switch, or is fault before this.

MCB trips because of high current. So maybe an intermittent short somewhere? Just thinking aloud here, maybe a bad connection which has sustained a short and now burnt out?

Damocles said:
What else is on the same circuit? Does any of it work?....etc
Thanks,
I looked at all you mentioned but as it was late (and I was very tiered) I think that I did not test it properly. Nothing is working on this circuit, I checked @ the switch position for continuity and changed the switch position while checking, No I did not use my continuity tester but my DVM, as a first fast test. (normally if the wire has a broken part somewhere the DVM will tell).
I going back today and will look for the first switch/light on line, I thought I found it but it seems that it was the wrong one (I even went up the loft to trace the cable, but the mess will not allow that).
Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back