Lime or modern sealant for 1830 Victorian steps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago, we purchased a Victorian property and noticed that the sealant around the entrance steps had failed and needed replacing. I have removed the old sealant, which appeared to be something like CT1 or Sikaflex. Now, I am seeking quotes for resealing the steps but have received conflicting advice. Some professionals recommend using a similar modern sealant to prevent cracking, while others suggest a lime-based sealant.

Additionally, the broken sealant has caused very minor dampness near the wall inside the property. While I want to maintain the integrity and historical accuracy of the Victorian property with a lime-based sealant, I also want to avoid having to redo the sealant in two years. Any advice on which type of sealant would be best for both durability and preserving the property's heritage?

IMG_9627 2.jpeg
IMG_9626 2.jpeg
IMG_9625 2.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back