Lining vs Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just wanted a few experienced views on my issue.

Currently live in a Victorian property it has been lined and painted over and over again for a good 20/30 years. The only issue is now mould seems to be building up especially on cold external walls.

A painter who I know mentioned this could be caused potentially by the lining paper and advised that it should be taken down and that its better to replaster and make good and paint directly with out lining paper?

Is this a common solution or is it better to use lining paper?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Lime plaster skim?
Can be lots of hairline cracks under the paper so lining paper is probably best option.
Just need to use breathable paint Vs vinyl which traps moisture.

Yeah lime plaster skim was what I was considering, i think you are right about the hairline cracks so it might just depend if the condition is good under the paper once i strip it back.

Is there any sense in that just skimming leads to less mould? I can't wrap my head around how it would be much different

Check humidity in the winter.
Don't dry washing inside without a dehumidifier running in room.
We run two dehumidifiers for a few hours every night

Sponsored Links
I work, primarily, in Victorian houses (9 inch solid brick work). Each of them, would have originally had lime plaster (about an inch). Many have had gypsum skim coats applied over the original lime plaster, and often lined after.

In properties where the plaster has been hacked back to the woodwork, the developers often dot and dab plasterboard. It is cheaper and quicker.

I don't know how much victorian houses outside of London differ in terms of construction. But in none of the properties that I have worked in, have I, as a decorator, seen issues caused by not using lime plaster.

I suspect that your damp may be the result of condensation. If so, the way to cure that is by increasing airflow or reducing the sources of condensation.

You could tape some bacofoil to the wall. If it becomes moist on the surface, it is down to condensation. If after a few days, it is wet on the reverse side, it is down to water ingress. Condensation is more noticeable in corners. As the air flows around a room, the arc of it misses tight corners. It is also visible behind cabinets placed near walls- again because of reduced airflow.

That's really useful to know, especially given your experience with similar build housing.

I think you are correct it's a condensation problem, we have tried to running dehumidifiers/ ventilating the property and investing in more efficient extractor fans/ keeping furniture from walls and maintaining air gaps. For some reason though it still keeps building up. I suspect the lining will need to be removed in any case given the age of it.

A few years ago, she what scowls at me decided that she wanted the bedroom to be painted with waterbased eggshell- fair enough. Over the winter, we could see the water literally running down the exterior walls. When we had matt emulsion, the condensation was not obvious. I guess that regular emulsion soaks up some moisture before becoming visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back