Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to look at a job recently and I would like peoples thoughts on the lintel being used.
Its a single story extension with a 4200mm IG L1/S 110 opening is 3900mm to have bi fold doors eventually.
Vaulted roof with a 15 degree pitch. Rafter span is 3700mm which have had to be notched a lot to get over the spine of the lintel for the fascia boards to be attached. To be finished with concrete roof tiles. Rafters 170mm x 45mm spaced at 400mm

Sponsored Links
Generally, proprietary lintels are OK if they are loaded in accordance with the designed load (which should be so with typical domestic roofs) and have the minimum required amount of masonry above the flange before the rafters/ joists.

Some engineers don't like it when only one side of a lintel designed for a cavity wall is loaded, but the lintel manufacturer's may be OK with it.

Hi Woody
The Lintel website says a minimum 150mm of masonry above lintel, there is only one course of brick on both sides with an additional 4x3 timber wall plate on the inside. My concern is this is the most basic lintel in the range of 6 options. All the weight is resting on the inside flange and I am the one who will be loading it !

IIRC, when it says 150 or 225 or whatever of masonry above the lintel, that can be whole lengths of timber instead.

What I've done in the past with a similar situation, is loaded both sides of the lintel (effectively two wall plates)

Best thing to do is check with the tech team at IG, and they'll advise if it's acceptable.

Sponsored Links
I see on their website that they actually do an eaves lintel, regardless I'm going to prop it till I have loaded it. I will give them a call tuesday.

Well I have spoken to their technical department and they say its ok, and it will have a deflection of 6mm
Actual rafter length after taking a proper measurement is 4050mm.
All I need now is for it to stop pi$$ing it down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back