Living room lights turn on by themselves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two lights in my living room, controlled by two dimmer switches.

I have installed one of those Varilight remote touch dimmers (master), and another one which is the slave unit.

Both operate exactly as they should.

Strange this is, if I turn all the lights out, then return home a few days later, the living room lights are on.

I have changed the slave unit for another new one and it's still doing it.

Do you think it could be the master unit that's at fault?

A fully qualified electrician fit it...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Since it has been fitted by a fully qualified electrician get him/her back to sort out the problem.
I take it, that the lights worked properly when the electrician left.

Since it has been fitted by a fully qualified electrician get him/her back to sort out the problem.
I take it, that the lights worked properly when the electrician left.

Yes, worked fine, just started turning themselves on after a few days...

I would call him now but I dont want it to be chargeable if it's a dodgy switch...

either that, or save money by taking it off and fitting an ordinary one.

Sponsored Links
either that, or save money by taking it off and fitting an ordinary one.

which will also mean replacing the slave....so probably won't save money.

As it was working fine originally I would suggest the problem is with the master..

A customer recently told me about a problem she was having with a remote touch dimmer (not sure if was Varilight but similar operation) - someone had been taking family photos in the room and the lights kept going on and off. Seems the dimmer was being set off by the camera flash. Anything in line of sight to your dimmer that might have a similar effect?

PJ

A customer recently told me about a problem she was having with a remote touch dimmer (not sure if was Varilight but similar operation) - someone had been taking family photos in the room and the lights kept going on and off. Seems the dimmer was being set off by the camera flash. Anything in line of sight to your dimmer that might have a similar effect?

PJ

Nothing at all, seems to do it during the night.

We are refurbishing the house and nobody is living in it, I can leave at night, turn all lights off, come back in the morning and theyre back on.

Can sometimes take a few days...

I'll try get another master!

Nothing at all, seems to do it during the night.

We are refurbishing the house and nobody is living in it, I can leave at night, turn all lights off, come back in the morning and theyre back on.

Can sometimes take a few days...

I'll try get another master!
I don't understand why you are not calling the electrician back. :confused:
I assume he supplied and fitted the dimmers so it is his responsibility to replace them not yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back