Living room pendant wiring dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the wiring in my living room pendant, see below photo and diagram of situation. There are 4 cables, one of which has 4 wires. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? (In the below diagram i haven't connected the earths but they are together on 1 wago)
1720819879595.png

1720820570481.png

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are those pictures of what you have attempted to do, or before you did anything?
My builder took the light fitting off and then put the connections as they were but into wago boxes.

If it helps there is another light fitting in the same room, and the switch is a 2 gang switch

Last edited:
The black is the switched live for the light in question.
The grey joined with one brown is the switched live for the other light you have in that room.
Blues are the neutrals.

The connector with all the browns in the permanent live loop.

Sponsored Links
The black is the switched live for the light in question.
The grey joined with one brown is the switched live for the other light you have in that room.
Blues are the neutrals.

The connector with all the browns in the permanent live loop.
Thanks so much. I just came to that conclusion after doing a bit more research, but this confirms it, all the different colours and sleeves was getting me confused

My builder took the light fitting off and then put the connections as they were but into wago boxes.
Didn't he take a picture?

Why don't you get him back to install it? Clearly if he removed it then it's his job to reinstall the fitting.

You should re-terminate the earths, They are sleeved two to a sleeved and in a wago thats designed to accept two conductors, they are not intended to have multiple conductors per opening, either re-sleeved all four separaly and get a wago thats design for 5. Or just take wago off and put connector block on instead (but look at the end and make sure that all four conductors have made it through before tightening down)

Didn't he take a picture?

Why don't you get him back to install it? Clearly if he removed it then it's his job to reinstall the fitting.
This was a freebie which the builder did for me, the light fitting was not central to the room so I asked to move and leave it in wagos since I was planning to eventually get a new light fitting on
You should re-terminate the earths, They are sleeved two to a sleeved and in a wago thats designed to accept two conductors, they are not intended to have multiple conductors per opening, either re-sleeved all four separaly and get a wago thats design for 5. Or just take wago off and put connector block on instead (but look at the end and make sure that all four conductors have made it through before tightening down)
Thanks for the advise, all done now.

Lighting fitting is on and working all OK :)
1720906486173.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back