w77

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been in this house since new and built 25 years a go and the end gable wall in the loft that is a breeze block type has some large cracks and loads of mortar missing in several areas.

In between some bricks there's hardly any mortar at all. It's been like this for at least the last 15 years but I have started to fill these gaps with some more mortar but is this sufficient or do I need a builder ?

I appreciate your advice and guidance

Thank you

Wayne

Attachments

• 1719670621133.jpg
    1719670621133.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1719670491395.jpg
    1719670491395.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1719670457540.jpg
    1719670457540.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1719670393224.jpg
    1719670393224.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 21
  • 1719670591997.jpg
    1719670591997.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Can just point it up yourself, doesn’t look bad. Those aircrete type blocks are prone to cracking like that from thermal expansion.

Have you got restraint straps from the block work to the first truss?

• Thanks
Reactions: w77
Hi and thanks for your reply. No restraint straps that I can see. I have started to point it up myself but wasn't sure if I needed someone out to check the structure.

Thank you

Hi and thanks for your reply. No restraint straps that I can see. I have started to point it up myself but wasn't sure if I needed someone out to check the structure.

Thank you
Who would you get to check the structure, a builder would not have a clue other than yes the perpends probably not been buttered enough with mortar and that is why they have shrunk/disintegrated, a SE would look at it and say because of the missing perpends the wall does not conform with masonry design codes and the strength of the wall is compromised to some extent but would not be able to give you a definitive answer on the structural integrity so would give you a load of nebulous jargon. Its still standing so accept it is OKish and rake out and fill the joints as best you can. I believe restraint staps are supposed to be secured by 3 trusses but that needs to be checked, and they should be located behind the blocs and not screwed to them so basically you are screwed

• Thanks
Reactions: w77
Sponsored Links
I was actually fooled and scammed over $753,000 by someone I trusted with my funds through a transaction we did and I feel so disappointed and hurt knowing that someone can steal from you without remorse after trusting them, so I started searching for help legally to recover my stolen funds and came across a lot of Testimonials about LION CYBER Recovery Expert who helps in recovery lost funds, which I can tell has helped so many people who had contacted them regarding such issues and without a questionable doubt their funds was returned back to their wallet in a very short space of time, it took the expert 21 hours to help me recover my funds and the best part of it all was that the scammers was actually located and arrested by local authorities in his region which was very relieving. Hope this helps as many people who have lost their hard earn money to scammers out of trust, you can reach him through the link below for help to recover your scammed funds and thank me later. WhatsApp: +1 929 660-4485
Email Address: [email protected]
Donkey??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back