Lost electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

In the our loft we recently had a single light fitted, which is taken as a spur from the main lighting ring circuit.

I presume there's no reason why I can't extend that cable further round the loft to provide two more light fittings?

Sponsored Links
It will almost certainly be OK - just a couple of things to check:

How many light fittings are already on that circuit? (it isn't a ring, BTW)

What is the rating of the fuse/MCB?

It isn't a ring? I'll trust you on that one! I presume it's just one long cable that ends at the last fitting then?

We have a maisonette, 6 rooms + the loft, so 7 fittings.

Can't remember the fuse rating right now, probably 5? I'll check tonight.

NBee said:
We have a maisonette, 6 rooms + the loft, so 7 fittings..
Going to 9. The rules say they should be sized at 100W each, 900W = 4A, so you'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

I just noticed the title to this thread is "Lost electrics" - obviously it should have been "Loft"! I don't want to lose my electrics...

ban-all-sheds said:
NBee said:
Going to 9. The rules say they should be sized at 100W each, 900W = 4A, so you'll be fine.

Shouldn't that be 3.91 Amps ? Pedantic I know :)

dingbat said:
Eddie M said:

'Lectrics here are different from those in Bolivia!! :LOL:
Yup - we have to add 90mA to lighting circuit loads because of the inductive effects of the solar wind. Whilst not strong enough to give us the Aurora Borealis, except very rarely in the far north of Scotland, it is strong enough to affect lighting circuits. The actual value varies according to conditions, time of year and latitude, but 90mA is the accepted average factor.

It's a 6A fuse, so it should be more than fine.

We do have external and stairwell lights, but they run off a different circuit.

Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:
NBee said:

Before or after you bumped your cranium on the boiler Edward ? Calling your manager a d1khead too !! X-ray comes to mind !! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back