Loud pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I turn any cold tap on, a loud yawing sound emits from the area my boiler and kitchen sink are. I can't locate exactly. Some of pipes under the sink vibrate. However, if I turn on any hot water tap, the yawing stops. I have a Worcester Bosch combi-boiler, no tanks.

I do have a dead pipe, which I bled, but to not avail. I have turned the main stopcock down, to no avail. There is also a slight water hammer when closing the hot tap but not the cold.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did it start when the combi boiler was installed? How old are the taps, internal wear can set up vibrations.

The boiler was installed 8 yrs ago, the noise only started a couple of days ago. It seems strange that it stops when I turn on the hot tap.

Kitchen tap cartridge. Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Noise will be louder at the kitchen tap if I am correct.

Sponsored Links
Success, the inline valve of the hot tap. The screwdriver method worked a treat. Turned it off and no noise, turn it on and noise. Now replaced for a mere £4 :giggle: . Thank you Mcmoby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back