Low voltage Vs Mains downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having 'cut out' boxes/shelves built into a new partition wall. I would like each box to have a downlight in it.
Would mains downlights create too much heat for this application?
Obviously mains would be preferable as there would be no need for transformers, making them accessible etc, etc…
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
How about the new Click GU10 energy saving mains voltage downlights? Consuming a miserly 7W they have a reported output similar to a 35W standard GU10 lamp, with four times the working life. They've just come on the market and are distributed by Lighting FX in Stockport, although their website only lists them as a news item.

(http://www.lightingfxdirect.com/index.html)

These might just be the answer to all those downlight/fire hazard problems.

How big are these "boxes"?

You could use the small surface-mounted fittings with 10/20W capsule lamp....

Sponsored Links
[pedant]"Mains" is "Low Voltage". 12V lighting systems are "Extra Low Voltage"[/pedant]

But that aside, 20W/30W/40W/50W/whateverW of incandescent lighting puts out more or less the same amount of heat whether it's 230V or 12V.

If you're concerned about heat, you can also get LED GU10 lamps - even lower consumption and even longer life. And available in a range of colours, which might be fun for party-times....

How big are these "boxes"?
They are going in either side of where the bed will be. There will be 4 on either side, of various sizes; 2 will be about 1.0mx0.3m, another will be 0.3mx0.3m and the last 0.25mx0.50m.
All in there will be 12 lights. I have already checked that the circuit can handle these on top of what is existing.

If you're concerned about heat, you can also get LED GU10 lamps - even lower consumption and even longer life. And available in a range of colours, which might be fun for party-times....
I noticed these when searching about, I thought they looked great but at approx £9 each this would prove to expensive.

I have decided to go with 2 x 60VA dimmable transformers on each side, powering 3 x 20W lamps each.

Thanks for all of your comments, you have been a great help! :LOL:

yes the led g10 bulbs are expensive but they should last a *very* long time

Yeah, I know what I am doing is false economy, but we really can't afford them at the moment :( We're having too much else done to the flat just now.
But thanks again for the help! ;)

TLC (who are not the cheapest) charge £3.99+ for halogen GU10s and £8.50+ for LED ones, and they have a 50,000 hour life..

They start paying for themselves after the second change of a halogen (or first, if the fittings don't come with lamps)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back